Primary School Incursions
Teaching Children to Grow
The Sage Garden Primary School Incursions aim to bring the joys of organic gardening to children from Prep to Grade 6 and to nurture a sense of wonder, excitement and empowerment through growing food that is healthy for us, in a way that is healthy and sustainable for our environment.
What we do
The Sage Garden will provide hands on rotational gardening activities with the assistance of the classroom teacher. These activities are tailored with the teacher prior to the day to best address and compliment the classes learning. These include but are not limited to:
One hour garden sessions – learning through practical gardening activities:
- Activities such as:
- Planting an edible seed to take home and decorating a seed carry bag with growing instructions. Prep to Grade 6
- Seed and seedling matching. Prep to Grade 6
- Garden play and rhymes – all children become plants and insets of the garden from bees to corn to the sun. Prep to Grade 2
- Botanical drawings of supplied germinating seeds and seedlings. Grade 1 to Grade 2
- Making a seed jar. Grade 2 to Grade 6
- Building a bird scarer. Grade 2 to Grade 6
- Painting and planting out terracotta take home pots. Grade 2 to 6
- Worm farms and Composting Incursions- learn about the benefits and joys of having your own worm farm and compost bin. Prep to Grade 6
- Final discussion and reflection.
Establishing a custom made garden bed. This is dependant on the individual needs and requirements of the Primary School and can include:
- The supply and delivery of all materials (soil, mulch, seedlings, seeds)
- The construction of the garden beds (working with existing garden beds or with our own custom built beds)
- A one hour gardening session with the children, planting out the beds, watering, mulching and making labels
At the request of each school, The Sage Garden can return seasonally to maintain the garden and continue to run garden sessions with the children.
The ever-changing nature of gardening keeps children intrigued and excited about being a part of the growing experience – it is an activity which can last a lifetime.
For more information, please call 0419 873 951 or email email@example.com, or visit Our Facebook Page
We look forward to the opportunity to work with you and your children and we would be delighted to meet with you to discuss the concept.
The Sage Garden, Teaching Children to Grow.